How You Will Successfully Finish Your Semester Online
These past few weeks have been absolutely crazy with the state our country is in. Who would’ve thought that we would leave for spring break and NEVER come back… I know I sure didn’t but that is our fate and now you are probably being faced with an overwhelming amount of emotions and opinions. For the seniors, your college experience as you knew it is now over and with that can come a lot of sadness and regret. It may not have ended the way you wanted it to, but you must be grateful for the good times you had. I’m only a sophomore but I am sad about the year ending. I enjoy being away from home and spending time with my friends and I feel like all that was taken away from me overnight. If it was up to me, I would end the semester now and give everyone an A for everything they have had to endure. But of course, it is not, and many universities, including mine, have decided to switch to online, remote instruction. For some this may be preferred but for me and many of my friends, we are not very happy about it. Although we may not like it, this is our fate for the next month and a half but together we will get through it. I have a few tips for you all on how you can and will succeed this semester and how we will get the #coronavirus4.0!
Invest in a planner
Since you will no longer be meeting with your professors face-to-face every week, it will be up to you to keep up with all due dates and assignments. These past few days you have probably been getting a boat load of emails from teachers as to how they will operate moving forward. Some due dates may have changed and many class structures have changed too so it is important that you stay alert and aware of all changes and future expectations for the remainder of the semester. This can at times get overwhelming so writing things down and staying organized will be the key to your success.
Check your email at least twice a day
As I mentioned earlier, teachers will be sending out lots of information as to how they will be operating from this point on and will be depending on email to communicate any updates or changes. It is important that you stay on top of all notifications of changes to the course to ensure that you are successful and do not get left behind.
Complete course work throughout the week
With us not physically going to class anymore, it can be easy for people to get lazy and stop trying. I am not denying that you will have lots of free time on your hands but it is important that you do not let that time get the best of you. Work on assignments throughout the week to avoid due date stress. Make a small schedule and agenda for each day to help you stay focused and productive. Devote a certain amount of time per day to each class and break things into smaller, more manageable sections. This will help you stay stress free and in control of your performance in the class.
Create a distraction free workplace
Since we are at home now and no longer have campus resources like the library and classrooms, we have to try and simulate that experience from home. Designate a place in your home where you feel you will best perform academically and can focus without distractions. It can be a desk, office, room or backyard but I highly recommend that you do not try and work in your bed because I can tell you from personal experience that is just a recipe for disaster but an invite to a refreshing nap.
Don’t be afraid to ask for help
We are all in uncharted territories with this pandemic so no one is going to be completely comfortable with everything that comes with this change. Don’t be afraid to reach out to professors and ask for help when needed. They understand that this new method of instruction can and will be difficult for some and are there to help guide you through this journey. Not only can you ask professors for help but you should connect with fellow classmates as well. They are in the same shoes as you and can lend a helpful hand and useful tips as to how they are managing and tackling the change.
Overall, this change will not be easy but I promise you trouble doesn’t last always. Before you know it, it will be August and we will be back on campus and everything will be back to normal. I encourage you to hang in there and never give up. Know that this is just a small bump in our journey to success but by following these few simple tips, we can make the ride a little more smooth! If you have any tips that you think would help us college students, leave them down in the comment section!
xoxo,
LD

Comments
Post a Comment